- 100 g sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 small tin of anchovies, roughly chopped
- 2 tblsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 100 ml olive oil
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1.5 kg leg of lamb, deboned
- 12 green olives, roughly chopped
- 6 tinned anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 6 tblsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 6 tblsp chopped fresh basil
- 6 tblsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 tblsp capers
- 10 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tblsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tblsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Blitz or mix the sundried tomatoes, garlic, anchovies, rosemary, olive oil and lemon juice together and rub it into the lamb. Cover and refrigerate overnight to marinate.
- Mix all the salsa ingredients together, cover and refrigerate.
- Place the marinated lamb on a hot grill, fat facing down. Cover with foil and seal well for 5–6 minutes. Turn over, cover with foil and seal the other side for 5–6 minutes.
- Cook the lamb for a further 15–20 minutes on each side. Allow to rest, covered in foil, for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve thick slices of the lamb with generous dollops of the lively salsa.
Anchovies can be bought in tins or glass bottles, preserved in salt and oil. They are an indispensable Pantry Pal in Italian cooking. They melt into dishes, imparting a rich, salty, savoury flavour. Don’t be put off, as they aren’t fishy and really work like a condiment. Be brave – try them!