- 100 g butter, melted, plus 25g unmelted for greasing
- 375 g plain flour
- 225 g cornmeal
- 1 tblsp salt
- 4 tblsp baking powder
- 100 g sugar
- 400 ml milk
- 200 ml buttermilk (see tip)
- 2 eggs
- 50 g margarine
- Preheat the oven to 200?C/400?F/gas mark 6.
- Grease a 23cm square loaf tin.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients together. Mix until you have the consistency of a sponge cake batter, then pour into the prepared loaf tin. Bake for about 20 minutes in the top of the oven.
- The corn bread is ready when it is golden and springy to the touch. Cover with a cloth immediately to prevent the bread from becoming hard while cooling.
- ED’S TIP: If you don’t have buttermilk, just increase the milk to 475ml.
Recipe taken from The Best Of British, published by Kyle Cathie Ltd, out now.