- 70 g butter, at room temperature (plus extra butter for greasing)
- 250 g plain flour
- 50 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 125 ml milk
- 1 large free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a little egg and/or milk for glazing
- strawberry jam and clotted cream to serve
- 200 ml double cream
- 200 ml crème fraiche
- 1 tblsp lavender honey
- handful of culinary lavender, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees, fan 200 degrees or gas mark 7.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with butter.
- In a large bowl, mix all the fry ingredients together. Using your fingers, crumble the butter into the mixture until it is evenly distributed, then (still using your hands) gently fold in the milk, egg and vanilla extract.
- The key is not to mix too much, as mixing will take the air out.
- Once everything has bound together, separate the mixture into small balls, place these on the prepared baking sheet and glaze with the egg, milk or a mixture of both.
- Bake in the oven for 16-18 minutes, until golden brown. For the lavender cream, fold the cream, crème fraiche and honey together and sprinkle with the culinary lavender. Serve with the warm scones and quick Strawberry jam.
- Swap the flour for Gluten and wheat free flour.
- You could also add raisins, cinnamon or chocolate chips!
- Always wear something that makes you feel good when cooking... If you feel happy during the journey, the destination is far better!
A Complete Guide to Hosting Your Perfect Tea Party By Angel Adoree is available in good book stores and online. Published by Mitchell Beazley.