- 200 g plain flour
- 50 g ground almonds
- 150 g butter – chilled
- 1 large egg, separated
- 25 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 50 g margarine and a little extra flour needed for greasing tart tins and rolling pastry
- 300 ml approx sweet dessert wine
- 4 leaves of gelatin approx*
- 400 ml double cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 75 g sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or 2 vanilla pods
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 eating apples
- 2 pears
- 50 ml calvados
- Sieve the flour and almonds into a large mixing bowl, add the sugar.
- Cut the butter into small pieces. Mix the ingredients with your fingertips until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- With a fork, mix in the egg yolk, lemon juice and almond extract until you form a dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, lightly knead then wrap in cling film. Allow to rest in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Grease and flour 8 individual tartlets or an 8" tart tin. Roll out the pastry and line the tart tin with it. Allow to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes or until needed.
- Blind bake the 8 pastry tartlets, by lining each one with either tin foil or baking parchment.
- Fill the tin foil with baking beans or uncooked rice.
- Place on a tray in a preheated oven 180ºC. Cook for 15–20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, leave to cool for five minutes then very carefully remove the tin foil.
- Separate the white from one egg and brush this all over the cooked pastry cases. Return to the oven for three minutes. This seals the pastry, so it will stay crisp when a wet filling is added.
- Soak the gelatin in cold water and allow to soften completely.
- Heat the wine until just hot but NOT boiling. Squeeze off any excess water from the gelatin then stir until dissolved in the wine.
- Pour into small glasses. Leave to set in the fridge overnight.
- Place the cream into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Whisk the egg yolks, vanilla and sugar together. Pour in the hot cream, whisk.
- Then pour into the 8 pre-baked cases. Cook in a preheated oven at 120ºC for 25–30 minutes until the tarts are just set. Remove from the oven; allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tins.
- Peel and core the apples and pears. Then cut into quarters.
- In a heavy based saucepan gently melt the butter, then stir in the sugar and cinnamon stick.
- Arrange the fruit on top, then cook on a low heat until they are soft. Add in the Calvados. Be careful as the alcohol can ignite. Stir gently so as not to break up the fruit.
Note: see instructions on gelatin pack for leaves to liquid recommendation as it varies depending on brand