The classic simple sponge cake
- 6 hen eggs or 4 duck eggs
- 215 g (8oz) sugar
- 170 g (6oz) plain flour
- strawberry jam, strawberries sliced, icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter and flour two 7” sandwich tins.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until very thick and pale.
- Carefully fold in the sieved flour.
- Pour into the prepared tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until the sponge springs back when pressed and a skewer comes out clean.
- Spread half with strawberry jam and slices of strawberry. Top with whipped cream. Top with the second cake. Dust with icing sugar.