- 1 handful of new potatoes
- 3-4 pickled gherkins
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 1 breast of chicken (roasted beforehand)
- 0.5 head of red cabbage
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tblsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tblsp good olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- a few sprigs of dill and parsley each
- Roast your chicken in the oven with salt and pepper for twenty minutes on a medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile boil your potato and carrots in the same pot for ten minutes. You want the potatoes soft but the carrots crunchy. When cooked, plunge the carrots into ice water to stop the cooking process and to keep their vibrant colour.
- Dice everything into cubes, or bite-sized pieces. Try to drain the gherkins from their liquid as much as possible, you don't want any excess vinegar in the recipe, it will just overwhelm the whole taste.
- Roughly chop your herbs.
- Once everything has cooled enough and been chopped, throw it all together in a large bowl.
- Make your dressing by whisking olive oil with your balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and mustard until combined. Dress it lovingly throughout the salad, while constantly stirring.
You can let the flavours infuse overnight if you want, but this salad is great eaten instantly or made the morning of a family lunch or picnic. To make this vegetarian, substitute with soft or hard-boiled eggs, for vegans, beans are perfect in this dish!