Floating Islands, Eggnog Custard, Crisp Caramel
- 3 egg whites
- 100 g caster sugar
- 600 ml milk
- 300 ml cream
- 100 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways
- 4 egg yolks
- 80 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 shot whiskey
- 150 g sugar
- 50 ml water
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff with an electric whisk in a large mixing bowl.
- Add half the caster sugar, whisk and add the remaining sugar and beat until stiff and glossy.
- Bring the milk to simmering point in a medium sized saucepan.
- Using 2 tablespoons make the meringue mixture into smooth oval shapes.
- Gently place the spoonfuls of meringue into the hot milk and poach them for 2 minutes each sides until set.
- Once set, remove the meringues carefully with a perforated spoon and put aside to drain well.
- Continue shaping, poaching and draining until all the mixture is used.
- For the eggnog custard bring the cream, milk, vanilla pod, nutmeg, cinnamon & whiskey to boil in a large sauce pan.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar in a heatproof bowl over a large saucepan of simmering water until the mixture is pale & creamy.
- When the cream starts to boil, pour it slowly over the egg and sugar mixture, whisking all the time.
- Transfer the mixture back into the sauce pan the cream was heated in and continue cooking on gentle heat until the custard coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Pass the custard through a sieve. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod into the custard, then discard the pod. Cool.
- Finally for the caramel, in a heavy saucepan melt the sugar and water and simmer until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and spoon a little over each poached meringue.