- 250 g self-raising flour
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 150 g golden caster sugar
- 125 g flora buttery
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 apples (peeled, cored and finely chopped / grated)
- 100 ml semi skimmed milk
- plus – crumble topping ingredients
- 2 tblsp plain flour
- 2 tblsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tblsp porridge oats
- 2 tsp flora buttery (10g)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and place 20 paper muffin cases in a muffin tray (or 2 trays). Combine the crumble ingredients in a small bowl and set aside (stir thoroughly with a teaspoon).
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and bicarb of soda in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the caster sugar and Flora Buttery with a metal spoon. Beat till light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and stir through. Then the eggs. Don’t panic if it then looks curdled – all will be fine, promise!
- Next stir through the apple. Finally add the flour mix and the milk, a third of each at a time, stirring gently to combine everything.
- Divide the mix carefully between the paper cases. Top off with the crumble mix, dividing equally. Place in the oven for 20 minutes to bake. Remove from oven and let rest in the trays for a further 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool…
Add more cinnamon / spice to the crumble mix if you fancy – eg another ½ tsp For more heart healthy recipes check out www.florahearts.ie