Leek and Potato Tart with an Oat Crust
- oat/pastry base;
- 120 g jumbo oat flakes
- 120 g wholemeal pastry flour
- 120 g cold unsalted butter
- pinch salt
- 50 g butter
- 6 leeks
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 free range eggs and 2 free range egg yolks
- 250 ml light cream
- 80 g mature cheddar cheese (grated)
- 80 g hard goats cheese (finely grated)
- 5 medium potatoes (peeled and boiled until just tender)
- 1 tblsp fresh thyme (finely chopped)
- 1 tblsp fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- Place the flour, oat flakes, pinch of salt and the cold butter chopped into cubes into a food processor.
- Pulse until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. With the motor running add 3dessertspoons of very cold water gradually until the dough comes together.
- Form the dough into a ball and roll in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, roll the dough out and line a 10/11 inch flan dish. Place in the fridge to chill for a further 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes place in a preheated oven; 190°C (375°F/Gas 5) for 20 minutes.
- To Make the Filling:
- Wash the leeks well and thinly slice using the white parts and 1-2 inches of the green parts of the leek. Melt the butter in a pan and cook the leeks slowly with the garlic until soft. Season.
- Mix the eggs and cream together and season. Slice the cooked potatoes thinly.
- Place the leeks into the pastry case. place 1/2 the sliced potatoes on top. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the grated cheeses and 1/2 of the thyme and parsley. Layer the rest of the potatoes on top.
- Pour over the egg and cream mix. Sprinkle with the rest of the thyme and parsley and the cheeses. Place in the oven for 25 minutes until golden.
- Use wholemeal spelt flour to make this a wheat free tart.