Beef Hot Pot with Chestnuts and Field Mushrooms
- 1 kg dried beef
- 1 can of chestnuts
- 200 g mixed field mushrooms
- 0.5 l beef stock
- 2 tblsp tomato paste
- 1 onion (peeled and sliced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 100 ml port wine
- 2 diced sticks of celery
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 2 large potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 2 tsp chopped thyme
- 4 tomatoes (peeled and diced)
- 50 g melted butter
- 2 tblsp vegetable oil
- 1 tblsp brown sauce
- 100 g diced cured bacon
- Place an ovenproof casserole dish over a high heat. Add vegetable oil and toss diced beef until browned. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, onion, celery, carrots, bacon and thyme and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and then add tomato paste, brown sauce, beef stock and port wine.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes and then add chestnuts. Remove from heat and cover dish with sliced potatoes.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Season and place in an oven at 160°C for 2 ½ hours.