Roast crispy duck with orange and star anise
- 4 oranges
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 duck ( 1.5- 2 kg)
- 2 tblsp sea salt
- 65 g brown sugar
- 100 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tblsp star anise
- 2 cup gravy (stock cube or granules will do fine)
- Zest and squeeze the oranges, retaining the husks.
- Put the husks of orange and the thyme into the cavity of the duck.
- Rub the sea salt into the skin.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Place duck on a wire rack in a deep roasting tray and roast in the oven for about 1 ½ hours.
- Leave the rest for 10 min before carving.
- For the sauce:
- Heat the sugar in a sauce pan until it forms a brown caramel.
- Add the vinegar and simmer over a low heat.
- When the mixture starts to caramelise, add the orange juice, star anise and gravy.
- Simmer until the sauce reaches the desired thickness, then strain, season and add the orange zest.