- 2 kg yellow cling peaches (peeled, stoned and diced)
- 500 g onion (diced)
- 1 red chilli (finely chopped)
- 250 ml white wine vinegar
- 300 g sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard powder
- Peel, stone and dice the peaches. Dice the onions. Measure all other ingredients.
- Place all the ingredients in a heavy based pot. Cover and slowly bring up to the boil.
- Reduce down to a simmer and simmer until the chutney has reduced and is thick and syrupy. Stir constantly! Depending on how soft the fruit is, this may take an hour-and-a-half.
- While the chutney is still hot, bottle it in warm, sterilised jars. Put the lid on immediately.
- Sterilising Jars and Bottling:
- If collecting used glass jars, make sure the lids fit securely and haven't been bashed or dinged. Any air getting into the preserve will contaminate it.
- Give the bottles and lids a good wash and rinse well. Try to get the labels off. Boiling the bottles in a large pot of water is very effective.
- Preheat an oven to 150°C and dry the clean bottles for 10-15 minutes.
- Using a funnel, pour the hot chutney into the hot bottles. Close with the lid immediately.