Apple and Sultana Flapjacks
- sunflower oil or margarine (for greasing)
- 1 medium cooking apple (peeled, cored and coarsely grated)
- 1 heaped tablespoon sultanas/golden seedless raisins
- 90 g soft brown/molasses sugar
- 100 g wheat-free, milk-free margarine
- 40 g ground rice mixed with ½ teaspoon wheat-free baking powder
- 100 g rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Grease the base of a square 15cm (6 inch) cake tin (cake pan) with oil or margarine.
- Put the grated apple, sultanas (golden seedless raisins) and 1 tablespoon of the sugar into a small pan. Heat gently for 5 minutes, stirring, until the mixture is soft and the sultanas plump.
- In a separate pan, melt the margarine over a low heat. Take off the heat and stir in the ground rice and baking powder mixture with the remaining sugar and oats.
- Spread half the oat mixture over the base of the tin, pressing it down with the back of a spoon. Spread the apple filling evenly over the top.
- Top with the remaining oat mixture, sprinkling it on and pressing down firmly.
- Bake at the top of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden.
- Cool in the tin (pan) and cut into 16 small squares. Store in an airtight container and eat within 4 days.