- olive oil
- 6 onions (finely sliced)
- 1 pizza base
- 12 good black olives (pitted)
- 6 anchovies
- And it’s a very fast and simple recipe. It’s just a bread base with onions that are cooked really, really softly and slowly and stay nice and pale. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan, then add the onions and sweat until they are very soft, lightly golden and translucent.
- Then pile the onions on to the pizza base, making a thick layer. Scatter the black olives and anchovies over the onions.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the base is golden brown around the edges.
- Serve immediately.
Pizza may not be what you instantly think of when you think of food from the South of France. But there are so many Italian influences. What I'm going to try is another type of pizza which is a speciality from Nice. I'm going to do my own take on it and make it even simpler.