Pork Belly Confit in Five Spice and Cider
- pork belly (preferably free range, enough for 2-4 people)
- 2 tsp 5 spice powder
- sea salt
- 1 can cider
- 2 red onions (quartered)
- 2 carrots (cut into chunks)
- 2 sticks celery (cut into chunks)
- 4-8 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- I made my own five spice powder by toasting cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, star anise, clove and black pepper, on a frying pan, then grinding them in a mortar and pestle.
- Score the pork well over the fat and rub the spices and salt well into the skin.
- In a roasting tin, heat some oil oil then brown the meat all over, esp the skin. Turn on the oven to 220°C.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and brown them, make sure the pork is sitting in the middle of the vegetables and pour in the cider, bring this to a bubble.
- Place the tin in the oven, cook on a high heat for 20 mins then turn the oven temperature down to 120°C and cook the pork for 4-5 hours.
- Remove it from the cooking liquids and leave to rest, cut into portion and serve on mash or colcannon with some of the pan juices (be sure to skim off as much fat as possible).