French Toast with Cranberry and Orange Sauce
- 4 slices thick crusty bread
- 25 g butter (softened)
- 4 tsp marmalade
- 3 large eggs
- 275 ml milk or cream
- small know of butter for cooking.
- 110 g fresh or frozen cranberries
- grated zest of 1 orange
- juice of 1 clementine (approximately 2-3 tbsp)
- 0.5 dsp ground cinnamon
- 25 g soft brown sugar
- 4 tsp water
- Its a good idea to make the sauce before cooking the French toast. Heat the cranberries, orange zest, Clementine juice, cinnamon, sugar and water in a saucepan until boiling.
- Reduce the heat and cook gently for 6-8 minutes until the cranberries soften and burst. If you like smooth sauce, blend in a food processor. Set to one side and keep warm.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with softened butter and marmalade and sandwich together.
- Beat together the eggs and milk or cream in a large shallow bowl.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan until hot and sizzling. Then dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture, turning to ensure that each side is thoroughly coated.
- Do not leave the sandwiches in the egg for too long or they will become soggy and difficult to handle.
- Add the sandwiches to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden and crisp.
- To serve:
- Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot with the sauce