Homemade Italian Sausage with Three Bean Apple Ragu
- for the italian sausage:
- 1 lb course ground pork
- 0.5 tblsp salt
- 0.25 tblsp cracked black pepper
- 0.25 tblsp fennel seeds
- 0.5 tblsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic (crushed fine)
- for the three bean and apple ragu:
- 1 cup tinned butter beans (half drained)
- 1 cup cannelloni beans (half drained)
- 1 cup red kidney beans (half drained)
- 1 cup granny smith apples (roughly diced)
- 1 cup onion (roughly chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 0.5 cup parsley (roughly chopped)
- 0.5 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (drained)
- 0.25 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tblsp worchester sauce
- For the Sausage:
- In a small hot pan add the fennel seeds and toast for 3 minutes. Allow to cool and add the remaining ingredients and mix very well until all incorporated.
- Refrigerate for at least six hours. Form into desired patties and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side until ready. If unsure use a meat thermometer and probe the patties to read 80°C and above.
- For the Ragu:
- In a large pot sauté the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- The mixture should now be a thick consistency. If to thin cook longer until your desired preference. These beans can be made a day ahead a time and refrigerated. This will last for 3-4 days.