Mushroom Velouté With Blue Cheese
- 500 g button mushrooms
- 100 g wild or forest mushrooms
- 100 g blue cheese
- 90 g butter
- 900 ml milk
- 90 g flour plain
- 100 ml chicken stock (reserve for consistency)
- 1 lemon
- 2 finely diced shallots
- 1 pinch finely chopped thyme
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 pinch olive oil
- In a large pot melt the butter over a moderate heat.
- Add the chopped button mushrooms, season well and cook over a low heat until the mushrooms are soft and released most of their water.
- Add the flour now and mix it in well, soaking up all the butter in the pot.
- Now add the milk a little at a time trying to avoid any lumps.
- Bring this to a simmer and continue to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and puree in a food processor.
- You can now pour this through a fine sieve if you wish, or if you prefer a more textured soup you can skip this step.
- You should now check the consistency and taste of the soup.
- Add some chicken stock if it is a little thick or a little cream for richness.
- To give the soup a little pzzaz, take a hot pan and add a little olive oil.
- When the oil is smoking add the wild mushroom along with the shallots and thyme. Sauté quickly and season well.
- Remove from the heat and crumble the blue cheese over and through the mushrooms.
- To serve, simple place a small pile of the sautéed mushrooms in the bowl and pour the soup around.