Seared Breast of Wood Pigeon with Smoked Bacon and Warm Red Cabbage Salad
- 8 large breast of wood pigeon skinned
- 150 g cured/smoked bacon (diced)
- to coat the breast, mix the following in a bowl:
- 1 tsp thyme (chopped)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- for the red cabbage balad:
- 1 small head of red cabbage (finely shredded)
- 1 red onion (peeled and sliced)
- 4 tblsp raisins or sultanas
- 2 green apples (cored and diced)
- 2 tblsp chardonnay vinegar
- 4 tblsp olive oil
- 1 piece of root ginger (peeled & sliced)
- 1 tblsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tblsp parsley (chopped)
- Method for the Red Cabbage Salad:
- In a little of the olive oil quickly fry the onion, apple & ginger for one minute.
- Add the cabbage and fry for a further minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for five minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Method for the Pigeon:
- Coat the breast of pigeon with the mixture.
- Sear on a hot oiled pan for three minutes.
- Turn, add the bacon and cook for a further three minutes.