- 1 large loaf italian bread (panettone)
- 250 ml milk
- 750 ml cream
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla pod
- 200 g raisins
- 100 ml rum
- 100 g butter
- 150 g castor sugar
- 1 pint custard or vanilla ice cream (to serve)
- Bring rum to the boil, pour over raisins and soak for 5 minutes.
- Cut bread into half inch slices. Butter each slice.
- In an ovenproof dish, layer your buttered bread slices and sprinkle raisins between each layer.
- Put milk, cream, vanilla pod and sugar into a pot, and bring to the boil.
- Pour over egg yolks and whisk for one minute. Then pour this mix over bread and allow to soak for 5 minutes.
- Bake at 140 degrees for 25 minutes until set. Serve with warm custard and/or vanilla ice cream.