- 0.5 leek (cut into chunks)
- 1 carrot (cut into chunks)
- 1 onion (quartered)
- ½ golden turnip (cut into chunks)
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 200 g arborio rice
- 1 bouquet garni
- 150 g butter
- 1 fresh black truffle (about 20g, sliced or grated)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Steam or boil the vegetables, leaving them slightly firm, and set aside. Bring the chicken stock to the boil, add the spelt and the bouquet garni, and cook for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently, until the spelt has absorbed the stock.
- Melt a third of the butter in a frying pan, add the vegetables and cook briefly, stirring, to warm through the glaze. Stir the remaining butter through the spelt, mix in the vegetables, season if necessary, scatter the truffle on top and serve.
- During the later stages of cooking, a healthy splash of good quality dry white wine and a generous spoonful of mascarpone cheese can be added to the dish - especially appropriate if the theme is decadence!
Many more of Trish's recipes are available in her new book, 'Nobody Does It Better', published by Kyle Cathie.