- 150 g patna rice
- ½ a red pepper (sliced and chopped)
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt,1 teaspoon pepper
- 450 ml chicken or fish stock depending what you use
- 3 tblsp olive oil
- 1.7 l water for cooking the rice
- Bring the water to the boil, add the rice and boil for approximately 7 minutes.
- Drain the rice and rinse with cold water.
- Put all the ingredients into a casserole dish on the heat and bring to the boil.
- Cover tightly with a lid and put in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F/Gas 4) for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and add the meat, poultry or fish, stirring into the rice mixture.
- Return to the oven with the lid on for another 10 minutes, by which time the liquid will have reduced.
- You can use as much or as little meat, fish or chicken as you have handy.
- A good tomato salad will go well with this, and if you don't have enough pilaff to use it as a main course, it does equally well as a starter.