Fish and Chips with Tartar Sauce
- 4 (150g) fresh hake fillets
- 500 g freshly cut chips
- for the tartar sauce:
- 40 g gherkins, 40 g capers (both chopped roughly as we need texture)
- 40 g finely chopped shallots
- 50 g fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 lemon
- for the mayonaisse:
- 1 egg
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- for the beer batter:
- 1 bottle of beer
- 200 g flour
- 20 g fresh yeast
- 12 g salt
- pinch of sugar
- 5 g curry powder
- Heat the beer until blood temperate then add the yeast and other ingredients. Leave to prove, covering with a damp tea towel for 20 minutes.
- Blanch the chips in a fryer at 130°C until soft - remove on to a tray until cool.
- When needed refry the chips at 180°C until crisp. Season.
- Season the hake and flour lightly. Cover with batter and place in fryer at 180 until crisp and golden.
- Remove on to kitchen paper, season and serve.
- For the tartare: Mix the egg with water and season whisking the oil in slowly.
Combine with tartar ingredients and taste.