- 175 g dark chocolate (55%, chopped into small pieces)
- 4 large eggs (separated)
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 10 floz double cream (whipped)
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Line a 13x9” Swiss roll tin with baking parchment. Melt chocolate. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until they are pale and thick.
- Stir in the melted chocolate. Place the egg whites in a clean grease- free bowl and whisk until they form soft peaks.
- Very gently fold in the egg mixture in two stages. Pour into tin and spread the mixture into the corners. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Dust with cocoa powder and cover with a sheet of baking parchment and cover with a clean tea towel. This keeps the roulade moist.
- Turn the roulade out with the tea towel facing down onto a work surface and gently remove the tin and baking parchment.
- Spread with whipped cream. Then begin to roll the long side closest to you. Roll and use the tea towel to help.
- Transfer to a serving plate with the seam underneath.