Pan Fried Scallops with Broccoli Purée
- 12 queen scallops
- 2 heads of broccoli (trimmed)
- 50 g butter
- 1 tblsp vegetable oil
- 100 ml cream
- salt and pepper
- Trim the broccoli and break into individual florets.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and add the florets to it.
- Cook the broccoli for 6-8 minutes until just soft, and drain in colander.
- Place the broccoli in a food processor with half the butter and pulse for about 30-40 seconds.
- Then add the cream little by little and pulse after each addition to check that the purée is not thinning too much.
- When the texture is right, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Remove the orange coral from the scallops and the rough outer membrane.
- Heat a heavy based frying-pan with the rest of the butter and the vegetable oil.
- Then sear the scallops in the pan for about 30 seconds on either side until slightly caramelized but still moist in the middle.
- To serve, place some broccoli purée on a dish and arrange 3 scallops on top, garnish with a grinding of black pepper and serve immediately.