Chestnut Gnocchi with Roast Pheasant
- gnocchi :
- 2 tblsp chestnut puree
- 8 leaves sage (4 finely shredded)
- 500 g baked potato (peeled and riced)
- 15 g parmesan
- 2 egg yolks
- 120 g flour
- seasoning salt and pepper
- 20 g butter
- For the gnocchi:
- Bake potatoes in oven at 180°C for about 45 mins.
- Scoop out flesh when cooked and pass through sieve.
- Add your parmesan, flour and seasoning and mix, then add your herbs and eggs, it should be similar to a pastry dough, not to dry or not to wet/sticky.
- Flour your work surface and roll your dough in to long sausage shapes, they don't have to be perfect.
- Cut into pieces of whatever size you want.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, add some salt.
- Place your Gnocchi in the simmering water and cook for 3-4 mins or until firm to the touch, remove gnocci and place in the water to stop them over cooking.
- Your can serve straight from the pot tossed in olive oil, a little parmesan, seasoning and a little butter or you can pan fry them, caramelize them a little and serve like this.
- For the Pheasant:
- Ask your butcher to prepare pheasant for you.
- Sear pheasant in hot pan, setting a nice golden brown colour.
- Add some butter, herbs and chicken stock.
- Place in the oven at 160°C for about 20-25 mins.
- Remove and allow to rest (it is important you baste the pheasant regularly while you cook it).
- Remove breast and serve with caramelized gnocchi.