Beetroot and Lentil Vinaigrette
- 2 large beetroot
- olive oil
- 100 g puy lentils
- 250 ml red wine
- 1 tblsp (heaped) honey
- 1 red onion (peeled and finely diced)
- 1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 100 ml olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C then rub the beetroot with a little olive oil, wrap the beetroot in tin foil and bake for about 40 minutes until tender-ish.
- Meanwhile, soak the lentils for ten minutes if possible, rinse well and cook in a saucepan, well covered with water.
- Add a big pinch of salt to the cooking water. Bring up to the boil and gently simmer for 10-20 minutes. When they are just soft, drain and rinse under cold water to refresh. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the red wine in a saucepan and boil until reduced by half. Take off the heat, add the honey, onion and balsamic and then slowly whisk in the olive oil.
- Slice the skin off the beetroot, then cut into small dice and add to the lentils and add the vinaigrette. Mix well and serve whilst still warm.