Grilled Mackerel with Gooseberry Sauce
- 4 mackerel
- butter for basting
- sea salt and black pepper
- for the sauce:
- 450 g gooseberries
- 1 red chilli or dash tabasco
- Score the fish diagonally across, three times on each side.
- Rub sea salt and freshly ground black pepper into the flesh then place on some buttered foil beneath a medium grill.
- Place a little more butter on top of the fish while it is cooking.
- Top and tail the gooseberries and put them in a pan without any water but with the chilli or the Tabasco.
- Place the pan over a low heat with the lid on and let the fruit cook in its own juice, about 5 – 8 minutes.
- When the fruit is cooked take out the chilli and put it through a sieve, keep the resulting puree warm.
- Turn the fish over and let them cook thoroughly on both sides. Serve the fish on a platter with the sauce separately.