Ukrainian Borscht with Haricot Beans
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 2 potatoes (diced)
- 1 small parsnip (diced)
- celeriac (diced, same amount as parsnip)
- 4 beetroot (peeled and roughly grated)
- 1 tin of haricot beans
- 3 pimentos
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dessertspoo fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon of dried
- lemon juice to taste
- 1 tblsp apple concentrate
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in a little sunflower or olive oil to soften.
- Add the garlic and sauté a few minutes more.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, parsnip, celeriac and herbs and spices.
- Add a good pinch of salt. Add water to 2 inches above the vegetables.
- Cover and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the beetroot and the haricot beans and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add the apple concentrate, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper until a balanced sweet and sour taste has been reached.