Poached Salmon - Mussel and Broccoli Veloute with Chive Mash
- 800 g fresh salmon(fresh, farmed) €3.59
- 250 g fresh mussels €0.99
- 250 ml cream €1.60
- 300 g broccoli €1.79
- 1.2 kg rooster potatoes €1.07
- 5 g chives €0.39
- 1 each lemon €0.33
- 100 ml milk €0.07
- 1 shallot €0.08
- 1 garlic €0.02
- 1 dash olive oil
- total €9.93
- The first thing you need to do is give the mussels a good wash under cold running water, try to remove as much of the beards as possible.
- Finely chop the shallot and garlic and put theses into a large pot (make sure you have a tight fitting lid for the pot) along with the oil.
- Heat these gently until they have softened and add the mussels. Turn up the heat to the highest setting and place the lid on.
- Cook the mussels for 3-4 minutes, shaking occasionally, when they have opened remove from the heat. Strain them into a small pot, remember you want to keep the juice!!
- Now remove the meat from most of the shells just leaving a few to garnish your plate later. Set the mussel meat to one side along with the ones still in the shell.
- Cut the salmon into four equal portions allowing 200g per person.
- In a deep pan add half of the mussel stock and about half of the lemon in slices and add some water, enough to cover the salmon once you've added it.
- Bring the liquor to a simmer and add the seasoned pieces of salmon. Allow this to simmer gently for 15 minutes or until the salmon is cooked through.
- Now in a separate pot bring the other half of the mussel stock to the boil and reduce by half before adding the cream and a little pepper.
- Cut the broccoli into small florets and add to the pot of cream. Simmer this until the broccoli is cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Now add the mussel meat to the cream and broccoli just to reheat the meat.
- For the potatoes, simply peel and boil in salted water until cooked, strain, mash and add the milk, chives and a little salt and pepper.
- To serve, place a bed of mash in the centre of the plate with the poached salmon on top. Spoon the broccoli and mussel cream around and garnish with the mussels you kept in the shell earlier.