Chilli and Ginger Cornbread with Fresh Basil and Cream Cheese
- 350 g medium cornmeal/course maize
- 160 g plain flour
- 2 red chillies and 4 thumb slices of ginger (diced and lightly sautéed in a little oil)
- 2 tblsp parmesan cheese
- 1 red pepper (roast and chopped)
- 2 tblsp (or 3) of soft goats or light cream cheese
- 7-8 fresh basil leaves (torn)
- 1.5 tsp bread soda
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 whole eggs
- 300 ml buttermilk
- In a pan sauté the ginger and chilli in a little oil until soft. Add the sautéed ginger and chilli to the polenta, flour, bread soda, parmesan, basil, red pepper and black pepper.
- Mix well. Add the beaten eggs. Now mix in the butter milk in to achieve a slightly wet bread mix. Fold through the goats cheese though until just mixed , do not over mix.
- Place in a lined or well oiled tin and bake for 50 minutes in the tin. Remove and place on a rack to cool in the tin. After 15 minutes the bread is set and safe to remove from the tin.
- Slice and serve as a savoury bread as desired. Its important not to over mix the cheese into the wet mix, we want to leave nice pieces of cheese for flavour, texture and presentation.