Linguine with mussels in tomato sauce
- 3 tblsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 850 g canned chopped organic tomatoes
- 140 g tomato purée (1 tin)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 2 kg mussels
- 700 g linguine
- handful fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Peel the onion and garlic and blitz in a food processor.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion and garlic.
- Sauté the onion for about 5 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar and Italian seasoning.
- Cook gently over a low heat until the mixture is thickened and reduced.
- Prepare the mussels. Cover them with cold water and discard any that remain open.
- Scrub the mussels and remove the beards.
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil to cook the linguine.
- Add the mussels to the tomato sauce.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer over a low heat for about 5 minutes (until the mussels are heated through and have opened).
- Remove some of the mussels from the shells.
- Cook the linguine in the boiling water until it is al dente.
- Drain well and toss with the tomato and mussel sauce.
- Serve sprinkled with some chopped parsley.