Valrhona Chocolate and Cardamon Mousse
- 240 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 90 g egg yolks
- 90 g sugar
- 600 ml cream
- 5 cardamon pods (each)
- Bring the cream and crushed cardamom to a simmer in a saucepan (approx 3 mins). In a mixer whip the yolks at high speed until they have doubled in volume.
- Heat the sugar and water in a pot and boil for 10 minutes. Pour the sugar mix over the eggs while the mixer is still on. Continue mixing until the mixture has cooled.
- Strain the cream and add the chocolate to it ensuring it has all melted. Fold the chocolate and cream mix into the yolks and pour the mix into a mould of your choice.
- Although this mousse has no gelatin in it, it will set. However, it is a good idea to freeze the mousse so you get a nice finish when you remove it from the mould.
- You can serve this mousse alone or with a selection of fruit or berries.
- A nice unusual partner would be slices of pineapple with cracked black pepper and a sprinkle of chili flakes.