With Summer almost in bloom, being run down by pollen and hay fever should be the least of your worries, as new research details just how debilitating hay fever can be on a daily basis.
The impact of hay fever on Irish people is immense with 26% of sufferers taking time off work, nearly 60% experiencing sleep deprivation, a quarter admitting to arguing with their partner and nearly 20% who avoid sex when hay fever symptoms set in.
The figures come from new Irish research, which shows that life as a hay fever sufferer can be totally debilitating. The survey carried out on behalf of Prevalin, the revolutionary natural, nasal spray for hay fever, reveals symptoms of hay fever affect the daily lives of 78% of sufferers.
A gel at rest and a fluid when shaken, Prevalin immediately extinguishes pollen already inside the nose – stopping symptoms like sneezing, runny or blocked nose and itchy eyes. It’s suitable for pregnant women, breastfeeding mums, children and even professional athletes, because it’s free of antihistamines and steroids.
Not only does the non-drowsy spray protect against further pollen irritation for up to 6 hours, it also stimulates clearance of the allergens in the nose.
According to Dr. Dore Geraghty “With the advancement in treatments and the availability of preventative medication, there is no need for Irish people to spend the summer indoors".
"More than a third of respondents to the Prevalin Survey avoid going out when the pollen count is high and while it’s close to impossible for sufferers to avoid pollen completely throughout the summer months" Dr. Geraghty added, along with some tips:
1. Keep windows closed during pollen season both in the house and in the car
2. Use air conditioning if you have it
3. Avoid mowing the lawn and stay indoors when the grass has been cut
4. Wear wrap-around sunglasses
5. Avoid drying clothes outside during pollen season as the spores will attach to the clothes
6. Shower and wash hair every evening
7. Check pollen counts regularly
8. Plan holidays to avoid pollen season
9. Early morning is when the greatest amount of pollen is emitted, if possible try to stay indoors during this time
10. Get the pollen filter in your car regularly changed.