A meal to rush home for.
- 450 g potatoes, well scrubbed
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 600 g minced beef
- 1 tblsp tomato puree
- 50 ml beef stock (or ½ glass red wine)
- 3 tblsp milk
- 25 g butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh thyme leaves, to garnish
- Cover the potatoes with cold water in a pan and add a pinch of salt.
- Cover the potatoes with cold water in a pan and add a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes or until completely tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Drain in a colander and peel the potatoes while they are still hot.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes until just beginning to soften but not colour.
- Stir the mince into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until browned, breaking up any lumps with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the tomato puree and red wine/stock and cook gently for another 10 minutes until completely tender. Season to taste and keep warm or reheat as needed.
- Transfer the beef to an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Push the cooked peeled potatoes through a potato ricer or sieve using a spatula. Quickly heat the milk in a pan. Beat the butter into the warm mashed potato and then add enough milk to make a smooth puree. Season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5. Pipe or spoon the potatoes onto the top of the meat mixture. Sprinkle with approximately 50g grated cheese and bake in the oven for approximately 12-15 minutes or until the potato topping has become golden brown and the meat mixture is really hot on the underneath.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon
- Indulgent Eggnog: What it is & how to make it!
- Kevin Dundon's Christmas Turkey: Today Show