Kevin Dundon serves up a delicious tomato and basil sauce which is perfect for chicken, pasta and pizza.
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes (800g)
- 1 medium sized onion
- 6 (to 8) mushrooms-sliced thinly
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tblsp torn basil
- 125 ml cream (optional)
- Heat a medium sized saucepan and fry the onion, mushroom and garlic until nice and soft. Mix in the chopped tomatoes. Allow the mixture to bubble away for about 10 minutes.
- If using the cream add to the sauce now to enrich it. Adjust the seasoning and then reduce the heat to a very low heat and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Add the chopped basil and then puree the sauce in a food processor or blender. Serve as required.
- Serving Suggestions: You can serve this sauce with any of the following: cooked chicken breasts; Use as a sauce on pizza bases, top with mozzarella for a delicious margarita; Serve over some delicious meatballs; Toss in some freshly cooked pasta and scatter with a little grated parmesan; Pour over roasted vegetables for a cheat’s ratatouille.
- Basil can also go well with Lemon peel, Mandarin peel and Kumquat peel, Tea black, Peru dark chocolate and Uganda dark chocolate.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Indulgent Chocolate Fondants: Kevin Dundon, Today
- Roasted Lamb Noisette, warmed tomato, pale ale
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon