This tasty dish full of flavour is perfect for the whole family.
- 4 Lean pork chops
- Black pepper
- 4 Large onions, peeled and sliced
- 50g (2 oz) Butter
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tblsp Flour, seasoned
- 150 ml (¼ pint) Warm milk
- 2 tblsp Cream
- 4 tblsp Breadcrumbs
- 1 tblsp Butter
- Trim the chops and take out the small piece of bone, then put onto a grilling pan and dust with black pepper.
- Peel and slice the onions into a saucepan, just cover with water and bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain, but reserve the liquid.
- Heat the butter in another pan, then add the onions and sugar, and cook until they are quite soft.
- Beat with a fork to purée them.
- Add the flour and let it cook for a minute, then add the warm milk and enough of the onion liquor to make a thickish sauce.
- Season well, then add the cream.
- Grill the chops well on one side only, transfer cooked side down into a roasting pan and cover the tops with the onion sauce.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top, then a dot of butter and pepper.
- Put into a hot oven at 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7 for about 20 minutes or until the top is crisply browned.
- If you like, the chops can be grilled in the usual way and the sauce served with them, but the crispy topping above is very good.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Caramelised Banana American Pancakes
- Carrot and Courgette Cake with Rosemary and Orange Crème Fraîche
- Beer Batter Fish Tacos with Cherry Tomato Salsa