This is a very good way to serve blackberries as the top of the dessert is both soft and crisp. Apple can also be used.
- 450g (1 lb) Blackberries
- A little water
- 75g (3 oz) and 50g (2 oz) Caster sugar
- 1 Egg yolk
- 4 tblsp Milk
- 3–4 Sponge cakes or double sponge fingers
- 1 Egg white
- Cook the blackberries, water and enough sugar to sweeten, then put the fruit and some, but not all, of the juice into a buttered pie dish.
- Beat the egg yolk with the milk, cut the sponge cakes in half and soak in the egg and milk mixture.
- When the sponge cakes have absorbed the egg and milk, lay them over the blackberries to cover.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 and cook for about 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, whip up the egg white, add the caster sugar, take out the amber (the fruit and sponges) from the oven, and spread the egg mixture over the top.
- Turn the oven down to 140°C/275°F/gas mark 1 and put back in oven, leaving for about 15 minutes or until the top is amber-brown. Serve hot with cream.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Caramelised Banana American Pancakes
- Carrot and Courgette Cake with Rosemary and Orange Crème Fraîche
- Beer Batter Fish Tacos with Cherry Tomato Salsa