- washed salad leaves
- washed baby spinach
- beetroot, (buy fresh if available from your veg shop, otherwise buy the precooked vac-packed one. definitely not from a jar in vinegar)
- 1 head of broccoli cut into florets
- quinoa (available from health food shops and some supermarkets)
- fresh blueberries
- happy pear bean mix (available from the happy pear in greystones, some health food shops and specialist shops. the supermarkets have alternatives that are fine to use also)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil (you can also use an organic rapeseed oil instead if you prefer)
- 3 – 4 tablespoons of sunflower seeds toasted lightly
- feta cheese diced or crumbled up
- If you are cooking the beetroot wrap in it in foil unpeeled and roast in the oven for 1 to 1 ½ hours. You’ll know it’s cooked when a small knife or a skewer cuts easily into it.
- Remove foil and peel off the skin and allow cool. Slice into wedges.
- Blanch or steam the broccoli keeping it very al dente. Put immediately into ice cold water to stop it cooking then strain off the water.
- Soak some quinoa in cold water then boil for 15 to 20 mins. Strain and cool.
- For the dressing whisk lemon juice and olive oil together. Add salt and pepper and some honey to sweeten.
- Place some salad, spinach, broccoli, quinoa and Happy Pear mix in a bowl and pour over the dressing.
- Mix the salad well and place in a serving bowl. Scatter the beetroot, blueberries and toasted sunflower seed over the top. Finally add the feta cheese and serve.
For futher information on The Sussex visit www.thesussex.ie