Rice Pudding is wonderful all year around. It's one of my ultimate comfort foods and served with poached rhubarb and orange it's an instant hit of summer.
- 200g pearl rice
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tblsp butter
- 1 l full-fat milk
- 4tbsp vanilla sugar, plus extra to serve
- For the Rhubarb:
- 900g rhubarb
- 100g caster sugar
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- Add the rice, 250ml of water and the salt and butter to a large saucepan, then cover with a lid and place over a high heat. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Pour in the milk and add the vanilla sugar. Stir through to combine then bring to the boil again. Reduce the heat and simmer slowly for 25-35 minutes until you have a creamy consistency but the rice still has a little bite to it.
- Pour the rice pudding into a baking dish and allow to cool before covering and popping it in the fridge until chilled.
- In the meantime, cut the rhubarb into 6cm pieces. Place the sugar, orange zest and juice in a cooking pot with 100ml water, place over a medium-high heat and bring to a steady simmer, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the rhubarb to the pot and poach until it is soft when pierced with a fork. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate.
- Continue to cook the poaching liquid until it becomes syrupy. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before adding the rhubarb back in.
- Serve the chilled pudding with the rhubarb syrup on top.