- sponge batter:
- 60 g butter
- 190 ml sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 190 ml milk
- 250 ml flour
- 1 tblsp baking powder
- 0.50 tsp salt
- 2 tblsp cocoa powder
- 375 ml water
- 375 ml brown sugar
- 3 tblsp cocoa powder
- vanilla ice cream and raspberries to serve
- Cream the butter and sugar together till light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour,salt, baking powder and cocoa powder. Gradually beat into the creamed butter and sugar, alternating with the milk until all mixed in.
- Pour the batter into a greased oven dish.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a pot, stir over a low heat until dissolved then bring to the boil.
- Gently pour the hot sauce over the batter. It will separate and curdle, but this is as it should be.
- Bake at 200°C for 30 minutes until you have the sponge on top and the sauce underneath. Do not overbake as the sauce will dry up.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and raspberries.
Recipe taken from A Month of Meals by Rozanne Stevens