Delightful cupcakes decorated chocolate ganache - Heaven!
- 110 g /4oz unsalted butter
- 125 g /4 ½ oz dark chocolate (at least 60% cocoa solids), chopped into small pieces
- 140 g /5 oz caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 0.25 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 heaped tabsp crème fraiche
- 25 g /1oz hazelnuts
- 110 g /4oz self-raising flour, sieved
- 1 tblsp cocoa powder, sieved
- Ganache topping
- 110 g /4 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 110 ml /4 fl.oz single cream
- extra dark or white chocolate for piping (optional)
- Equipment: 12 cup muffin tin, 10 paper muffin cases
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Put the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and place in a preheated oven until toasted. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Place the nuts in a teacloth and rub vigorously to remove the skins. There will always be a few stubborn ones so don’t worry about these. Chop the nuts quite finely and set aside until ready to use.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Place chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl. Sit the bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water and heat until the chocolate and butter have melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from the hob, mix in the sugar and stir to mix.
- With an electric hand mixer, beat in the eggs little by little, beating well between each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract and crème fraiche. Fold in the flour , cocoa powder and chopped hazelnuts. Spoon the mixture into 10 paper cases and bake for 15-20 minutes. Test by inserting a wooden skewer into the centre of one of the cupcakes – they are ready when moist crumbs stick to the skewer. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes and then transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack. When the buns are completely cold, they may be dipped in ganache.
- To make the ganache
- Place the cream in a small saucepan and bring up to the boil. Turn the heat off immediately and add the chopped chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has completely melted and the ganache is totally smooth. Pour the ganache into a bowl and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes until it thickens a little. Pick up the cupcakes one by one and dip the tops into the runny ganache. so that it forms a lovely smooth shiny glaze over the top.
- To decorate
- Melt a little white chocolate over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Pour into a small piping bag and drizzle lines of chocolate back and forth over the top of each cupcake. Allow to set. Store the cupcakes in an airtight container. They will keep for several days
Recipe is taken from From Lynda's Table by Lynda Booth
More by Lynda Booth:
- Dublin Cookery School's Orechiette Pasta
- Coolea Cheese & Red Onion Marmelade Beef Burgers
- Dublin Cookery School's Onion Prosciutto Tart