Look as great as they taste.
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 100g (4oz) butter
- 200g (7oz) ready-rolled puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- Cut the onion into 4x1cm (½in) rings, discarding the ends. Take away enough outer rings so that each one will neatly sit in the bottom of a 10cm (4in) blini pan.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the base of the blini pans. Put two cubes of butter into the base of each one and place a slice of onion on top of each one. Stamp or cut out 4x10cm (4in) rounds from the puff pastry and place on top of the onion, carefully tucking down the edges to create a rim. Place in the fridge to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F/gas mark 5).
- Place the blini pans directly on the hob on a medium heat and cook for 4-5 minutes to caramelise the sugar. You should be able to see the sugar bubbling up around the edges of the pastry - watch it carefully as it turns from golden to dark brown in colour. Transfer to the oven and cook for another 10 minutes, until the puff pastry is golden brown.
- Cook Ahead: These can be made up to 2 days in advance and kept chilled in the fridge on a plastic tray covered with clingfilm until needed. To reheat, preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F/gas mark 5), place them on a preheated baking sheet and cook for 6-8 minutes, until heated through.
More by Neven Maguire:
- The Today Show: Neven Maguire's Vietnamese Chicken Salad
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Neven Maguire style
- Caramelised Pork Belly, Neven Maguire, Today show