A great treat or gift.
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 2 onions, roughly diced
- 2 red peppers, cored, seeded and roughly diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tblsp tomato purée
- 50g (2oz) light brown sugar
- 4 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tblsp dark soy sauce
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based pan on a medium heat. Add the onions, red peppers and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, until just beginning to soften. Stir in the chilli and tomato purée and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the sugar, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce and pour in 300ml (½ pint) of water to just cover. Simmer for 45-50 minutes, until well reduced and thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the chilli jam from the heat and leave to cool completely, then tip into a food processor or liquidiser and blend to a purée. Pass through a sieve set over a bowl and season to taste. Transfer to a rigid plastic container and store in the fridge. Use as required.
- Cook Ahead: This keeps very well in the fridge for up to 3 weeks and can be put into a squeezy plastic bottle if you would like to use it to garnish plates. This can also be frozen.
More by Neven Maguire:
- Today: Neven Maguire's Snacks for Toddlers
- Neven's Flourless Orange and Almond Cake
- Today: Neven's Chicken Risotto for Weaning