It's very easy to make your own.
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 100ml (3½fl oz) olive oil
- 100ml (3½fl oz) rapeseed oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Break the egg into a food processor and add half teaspoon salt and the vinegar, mustard, sugar and half of the olive oil. Secure the lid and whizz for 10 seconds.
- Leave to stand for a couple of seconds, then turn on again and pour the remaining olive oil and rapeseed oil through the feeder tube in a thin, steady stream. This should take 25-30 seconds.
- Switch off the machine, take off the lid, scrape down the sides and whizz again for 2-3 seconds, then season to taste. Transfer to a squeezy bottle and chill until needed. Use as required.
- Variations - Truffle Mayonnaise: Add ½ teaspoon black or white truffle paste into the food processor.
- Aioli: Add 2 chopped garlic cloves with the egg into the food processor.
- Lemon Mayonnaise: Add the juice and rind of 1 small lemon and 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives.
- Curried Mayonnaise: Beat in 2 teaspoons mild curry paste with a good squeeze of lemon juice. Season to taste, then cover with clingfilm and chill until needed.
- Cook Ahead: This mayonnaise or any of the variations keep very well in the fridge for up to 1 week in the squeezy bottle.