A delicious healthy dish with a twist.
- 1 kg young leeks
- 4 eggs
- 3 shallots
- olive oil
- old wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- dijon mustard
- sea-salt (coarse)
- black pepper
- bunch of chives and parsley
- Trim the green part of the leeks then quarter the green part 2 thirds of their length so that they open; rinse well.
- Steam for around 7/8 minutes or plunge into boiling water; drain and leave to cool.
- During this time hard boil the eggs (11-13 mins) and chop the shallots very finely.
- Make an emulsion of about 6 tablespoons of olive oil to a large generous dollop of dijon mustard; when thick like mayonnnaise, lengthen with 1-2 tbs of vinegar before adding the chopped shallots and finely chopped chives.
- Remove the shells from the eggs and cool under running cold water.
- Chop the eggs finely; open the cooked warm leeks on a large plate and sprinkle the eggs over them. Then spoon the mustard sauce generously over all this.
More by Eamonn Ó Cathain:
- Chorizo with Haricot Beans and Red Wine
- Roast Lamb with Rosemary and Sage Pesto with Rosemary and Lemon Roast Potatoes
- A Festive Gigot of Lamb with Two Sauces