This Chocolate Delice consists of a layer of chocolate sponge soaked with coffee syrup and chocolate filling. It's completely delicious.
- For the Chocolate Filling:
- 2 gelatine leaves
- 50ml (2fl oz) liquid glucose
- 200g (7oz) plain chocolate, broken into squares (at least 70% cocoa solids)
- 300ml (½ pint) cream
- 100ml (3½fl oz) Coole Swan dairy cream liqueur
- For the Chocolate Sponge:
- 2 eggs
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 50g (2oz) plain flour
- 25g (1oz) cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- For the Coffee Syrup:
- 25g (1oz) caster sugar
- 50ml (2fl oz) strong espresso coffee
- 50ml (2fl oz) Kahlúa liqueur
- Chocolate fudge sauce (see link below), to serve
- Crème Anglaise (see link below), to serve
- Malteser ice cream (see link below), to serve (optional)
- Fresh raspberries, to decorate (optional)
- To make the chocolate filling for the delice, place the gelatine in a bowl of cold water and set aside for 10 minutes to soften. Heat 5 tablespoons water in a heavy-based pan with the glucose. Gently squeeze out the gelatine and add to the pan, then gently warm through, stirring well until the gelatine is dissolved. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Place the plain chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water and allow to melt. Stir until very smooth and leave to cool a little, then fold into the gelatine mixture. Whip the cream in a bowl and fold into the chocolate mixture. Finally, fold in the Coole Swan liqueur.
- To make the sponge for the delice, preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F/gas mark 5) and line a 18cm (7in) square non-stick tin with parchment paper. Whisk the eggs and caster sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy. Sieve the flour and cocoa powder into the egg mixture and gently fold in until just combined. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 15 minutes, until just cooked.
- To make the coffee syrup, place 200ml (7fl oz) water in a heavy-based pan with the sugar, coffee and Kahlúa liqueur. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for a couple of minutes, until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely.
- To assemble the chocolate delice, place the chocolate sponge on a lined tray and brush all over with the coffee stock syrup. Spoon over the chocolate filling and spread evenly with a palette knife and leave to set, then cut into 4cm (1½in) circles with a straight-sided cutter and dust with cocoa powder.
- To serve, arrange on plates with the Chocolate Fudge Sauce, Crème Anglaise and Malteser Ice Cream. Decorate with the raspberries or use the individual portions as required.
- Cook Ahead: This can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept on a tray covered with clingfilm in the fridge. It can also be frozen.
More by Neven Maguire:
- Caramelised Pork Belly, Neven Maguire, Today show
- Moroccan Lamb Tagine: Alternative Easter dinner
- Fragrant Pork, Thai Red Curry: Neven Maguire