- 5 egg yolks
- 3 tblsp caster sugar
- ½ vanilla pod, split in half and seeds scraped out
- 300ml (½ pint) milk
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) cream
- Place the egg yolks in a large bowl with the sugar and vanilla seeds. Whisk with an electric mixer for a few minutes, until pale and thickened.
- Place the milk and cream in a medium pan and bring to the boil, then immediately remove from the heat.
- Gradually whisk the heated milk and cream into the egg yolk mixture until smooth, then pour back into the pan and place over a gentle heat. Cook gently for 6-8 minutes on a medium heat, stirring constantly, until the custard coats the back of a wooden spoon. Serve hot or transfer to a large bowl. Press a sheet of clingfilm directly onto the surface of the custard to help prevent a skin from forming and leave to cool, then chill until needed. It can also be put into a squeezy bottle depending on how you want to use it. Use warm or cold as required.
- Variations - Coole Swan Crème Anglaise: Add 2 tablespoons Coole Swan Dairy Cream Liqueur to the Crème Anglaise before it gets cooked to thicken.
- Cook Ahead: This will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.