This pasta dish is a family favourite, add any leftover ham to the dish if desired. Sometimes I add some chopped bacon to the pan with the onion for some extra flavour.
- 500g macaroni
- 2 tblsp butter
- 1 tblsp flour
- 350ml milk
- 2 onions, grated or finely chopped
- 250g grated cheddar cheese
- white pepper
- Melt butter in saucepan and add the onions, cook for 2-3 minutes over a moderate heat until softened and translucent.
- Add the flour to the saucepan and stir continuously to ensure it is well combined with the butter.
- Pour in the milk a little at a time, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Allow to cook over medium-low heat until sauce simmers and thickens to desired consistency. Season with salt and white pepper.
- In the meantime, cook the macaroni as per pack instructions, drain and keep aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Add the cheese to the white sauce and stir. Pour the cooked macaroni into an ovenproof dish and pour over the cheese sauce, stir to ensure the macaroni is completely coated.
- Sprinkle with some more cheese if desired.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Saturday Brunch: Crêpes Suzette with Strawberries
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: Just Add Milk!
- Strawberry and Banana Iced Lolly Pops