Gorgeous on toasted bread.
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 50g (2oz) mixed wild mushrooms, roughly chopped (such as cep, chanterelle, shiitake and oyster)
- 1 tblsp Madeira
- 1 tblsp cream
- 1 tsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 100g (4oz) butter, diced (at room temperature)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat and add the shallot, garlic and mushrooms. Cook gently for 5 minutes, until cooked through and tender but not coloured.
- Stir in the Madeira, cream and herbs and cook for a further 3 minutes, until the liquid has completely reduced and evaporated. Season to taste and leave to cool, then place in a food processor with the butter and purée until smooth.
- Using a spatula, scrape out onto a square of parchment paper and roll into a cylinder about 2.5cm (1in) thick, twisting the ends to secure.
- Chill for at least 2 hours to harden.
- Use as required. This will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge or it can be frozen.
More by Neven Maguire:
- Neven's Flourless Orange and Almond Cake
- Today: Neven's Chicken Risotto for Weaning
- Neven's Food Trails: Buffalo Chicken Wings